The Deacon Ministry exists to glorify Jesus Christ through service to our widows and orphans. Our calling is from Acts 6 and the qualifications are outlined in 1 Timothy 3:8-13.
The deacons are assigned to members by Sunday School Class. The list below shows the deacon assigned to each Sunday School Class. Contact information for your deacon can be found in the church directory or by calling the church office.
Qualifications of a Deacon
- A man of honest (good) report (Acts 6:3). – A good reputation among those in the church as well as those outside the church.
- Full of the Holy Spirit (Acts 6:3). – Bigness of character, in spiritual outlook and personal dedication.
- Full of wisdom (Acts 6:3). – Wisdom born in a relationship with the Holy Spirit.
- Full of faith (Acts 6:5). – Like Stephen’s, a deacon’s power depends on faith.
- Grave (I Tim. 3:8). – One who possesses Christian purpose, who has great reverence for spiritual matters.
- Not double-tongued (I Tim. 3:8). – Dependable and responsible, in control of his tongue.
- Not given to much wine (I Tim. 3:8). – Temperate in living, stewards of good influence, doing all to the glory of God.
- Not greedy of filthy lucre (I Tim. 3:8). – A right attitude toward material possessions, not eager to exploit others for his own gain or profit.
- A holder of the faith (I Tim. 3:9). – A man who gives strength to the church fellowship and one who possesses spiritual integrity beyond reproach.
- Tested and proved (I Tim. 3:10). – A man who demonstrates his spiritual qualifications before being elected to serve as a deacon, tested and found true.
- Blameless (I Tim. 3:10). – A man against whom no charge of wrongdoing can be brought with success.
- Christian family life (1 Tim. 3:11-12). – A man whose family is well-cared for, whose family relationships are healthy and growing.
- Husband of one wife (I Tim. 3:l2). – Model of faithful devotion to one spouse, committed to the sanctity of the marriage bond.
- Ruling their children and their own houses well (I Tim. 3:12). – Manages his own home well, loved and respected by his wife and children, firm but with the compassion and tenderness of Christ.
- Bold in the faith (I Tim. 3:13). – Strong and effective because he uses his office as deacon in the right way, for the right purpose.
We, the deacons of the First Baptist Church of Kettering enter into this Covenant to encourage one another and to state clearly to the questioning world the high scriptural ideals of a deacon.
- I hereby covenant that I believe in the inspiration of the Scriptures and will take it as my sole guide for my conduct.
- I hereby covenant that a deacon is to be the husband of only one wife.
- I hereby covenant that I will refrain from the sale or use of alcoholic beverages, and I will not rent any property owned by me to be used as a place for the sale of such beverages.
- I hereby covenant to be honest and just in all of my business dealings.
- I hereby covenant that my tongue shall not be used in cursing, lying, telling of smutty stories, or be used to slander the character of my brethren, or to be a talebearer, which may result in harm.
- I hereby covenant to practice the scriptural admonition to give a tithe of my income into the treasury of my church as a minimum of my stewardship.
- I hereby covenant to accept and discharge the responsibilities assigned to me by my church to the best of my ability.
- I hereby covenant to refrain from dancing, gambling, desecrating the Lord’s Day, or any worldly activity that would hinder my service to my Lord and to my church.
- I hereby covenant to be faithful in attendance to services on the Lord’s Day and to Prayer Services on Wednesday evenings.
- I hereby covenant to that I will attend all the regular and called meetings of the deacons, unless providentially hindered, and in such case I will notify the church office so every deacon may be accounted for in the meeting.
- I hereby covenant to be a faithful husband and father to lead my family in their devotional life.
- I hereby covenant that I will be faithful as a witness to the Power of Christ to save those who are lost.
- I hereby covenant that three (3) unexcused absences from the regular deacon’s meetings shall automatically place me on the inactive list, without any official action from the deacons or the church
- I hereby covenant that the habitual violations of any of the obligations of this covenant shall disqualify me as an active deacon of the First Baptist Church.
Please answer the following questions in writing and return to the interview team in advance of the interview.
- What do you believe is required for someone to experience salvation? Is this a permanent experience? Is it for all?
- What do you believe about the Bible?
- Please share a few words about your devotional life.
- What are the priorities of your life?
- How would you describe your relationship with your wife and child?
- The spiritual and moral qualifications of deacons are found in Acts 6: 1-6 and I Tim 3:8-10, 12-13. Please review these verses with your wife and then summarize what they are saying about deacon service.